18 April 2011

Ouch! Bone Bender 2011

Back in town and I joined Rich Anderson to ride the Bone Bender 6hr as a duo team. First time on a MTB for probably 6 months and with the exception of a couple easy spin hours this past week, first time on a bike for 4 months. Baptism by fire.

I asked Rich to do the first lap because I didn't have much confidence about my rusty technical skills in traffic. Also, I really didn't think I was up to 4 laps either! I was right. Although my laps were decent given the circumstances, I had a good calf cramping moment on my last lap. This is actually the first time I have ever had a muscle lock up while riding. Of course, my bike fitness is crap, so its no surprise that riding hard for 2.5 hours was more than I could handle.

My technique seemed to be okay after some time on the trails. Everyone seemed to think the trail was really technical, I guess I didn't. Sure, it had technical bits that I didn't ride, but I didn't really feel like they defined the course. On any given course there are usually some technical bits that I can't ride, so this trail was about the same as anything else for me.

It was good to see everyone. It seems like I've been gone for a really long time. In reality, I probably wouldn't have seen most of these people at all over the last few months anyway, so its weird that it feels like I was returning from a long absence.

Anyway, probably won't be doing much riding/racing this year. Guess I better figure out something else to write about...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff,
    Good to talk with you at Bone Bender this year. Really envy the way you spent your winter/spring just getting away from it all.
    Ethos sponsored XC race and trials competition up here in St. Joe this Saturday... Trails are buff so if your not doing anything come on up
    CH

    ReplyDelete
  2. riverfrontmtbrace.blogspot.com

    Melvern race again this year. Check out the info would love it if you could help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete